Surfbirds and Black Turnstones
Surfbirds and Black TurnstonesMary Anne Bishop, Prince William Sound Science Center
Scope of Work:
Northern Montague Island is a critical stopover site for the world populations of Black Turnstone and Surfbird. The objectives of this study are:
- Determine the phenology and length of stay of Surfbirds and Black Turnstones stopping at northern Montague Island Important Bird Area Alaska during spring migration.
- Estimate the population size of Surfbirds and Black Turnstones stopping at northern Montague Island.
- Characterize the spatial and temporal distribution of Surfbirds and Black Turnstones at northern Montague Island.
- Identify areas ofshorebird concentration.
- Document shorebird response to herring spawn within the IBA.
- Identify conservation concerns at Montague Island with regards to Surfbird and Black Turnstone.
Download Report: 09-10-16-Bishop-Surfbirds2.pdf